Work/Long Term Stay Visa


A work/long-term visa is required for those who will be staying in Japan for more than 90 days, or will be engaging in activity involving profit or pay in Japan.

Required Documentation

1. Valid Passport

Must have at least one complete blank visa page.
Immigration documents showing legal status and permission of reentry into the United States
May be a U.S. Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) or a valid U.S. visa sticker on a valid passport
F or J visa holder must show an I-20 or DS-2019 (formerly IAP-66) with the valid signature of an appropriate official in order to reenter the U.S.

Please note that in principle we do not accept an application from B-1 (Temporary Business Visitor) and B-2 (Temporary Visitor for Tourism/Leisure) U.S. visa holders. If you hold a B-1 or B-2 U.S. visa, you should return to your country of origin and apply for a Japan visa from there.

2. One visa application form

Must be completely filled and signed by the applicant.
Blank visa application forms are available at the consular office or may be downloaded here.

3. One 2” x 2” square passport-type color photograph

Must be taken within 6 months of application date with front-face view of applicant and plain background.

4. A flight itinerary or reservation confirming arrival and departure in Japan

An e-ticket or print-out from a travel agency, airline or travel website is acceptable. The print-out should include:

a. Passenger's name.
b. Confirmation number/record locator.
c. Airline names, flight number and all departure/destination cities.
d. Complete round-trip flight itinerary,starting/ending in the US. This should include all of the countries you are visiting other than Japan, if applicable.

Please note: We do not require the purchase of tickets, but we require a confirmed reservation. The Consular Office of Japan is not responsible for tickets which may be unusable due to the delay or denial of a visa.

5. Visa fees (if applicable)

Visa fees vary by country. There is no visa fee for U.S. citizens.

6. Certificate of Eligibility (original and one copy)

Document issued by Immigration Bureau in Japan permitting a long-term stay. Your guarantor in Japan should contact their nearest Regional Immigration Bureau to issue you a Certificate of Eligibility. Please visit the Immigration Bureau of Japan website for more information on obtaining a Certificate of Eligibility.

For business

  • A letter from the applicant's U.S. employer/company, including the purpose of the trip, length of stay,and a guarantee that all financial expenses incurred for this trip will be covered.
  • A letter stating the name,address, and telephone number of the employer/company the applicant is visiting in Japan, as well as the name and contact information of an employee there.
  • Hotel accommodation confirmation.

Specified visas

Additional documentation may be necessary depending on the purpose of your visit to Japan. Please check the list of types of long-term visas on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website to ensure you have all required documentation.

What is a Certificate of Eligibility?

A Certificate of Eligibility is a document issued by the Immigration Bureau in Japan for the purpose of study, work, or long-term residence. A Certificate of Eligibility is issued once the Ministry of Justice determines if the activites of a foreigner visiting Japan meet with the conditions of landing.

A foreign national in possession of a Certificate of Eligibility can get a visa issued more easily at an embassy or consulate within the standard processing period (5 business days from the day after the date of the acceptance of application). Furthermore, by presenting the certificate at the time of landing, examination procedures will move more quickly. However, possession of a Certificate of Eligibility does not guarantee the issuance of a visa.

A Certificate of Eligibility is valid for 3 months following the date of issuance. Therefore, applicants must obtain a visa and enter Japan within 3 months from the issue date of the Certificate of Eligibility. Travelers must show a valid visa and Certificate of Eligibility upon arriving in Japan.

To obtain a Certificate of Eligibility, a sponsor in Japan such as an employer, school, relative, etc. must contact the Immigration Bureau on your behalf. For details go to the Ministry of Justice, Immigration Bureau.

Further information about types of visas and required documents can be found at Embassy of Japan in Washington D.C. website or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan website.