Importing medications into Japan is subject to regulation by the Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare. 

You may bring any one-month supply of prescription medication or two-month supply of non-prescription medication into Japan without special documentation under the condition that:

  • the medication is for your personal use only
  • the medication is not in a prohibited or restricted class, such as narcotics or stimulants

The same rule applies if you are mailing prescription and/or non-prescription drugs to Japan.

If your medication does not meet these conditions, you will need to apply for an import certificate called "Yakkan Shoumei" before departing for Japan. You may download the Yakkan Shoumei application here and consult the Q&A for bringing medicines into Japan for more information.

If your medication is a narcotic or psychotropic, you will need to submit further documentation to obtain permission from the Japanese government to bring the medication to Japan. For details regarding narcotics and psychotropic medication, please check with the Narcotics Division, Pharmaceutical and Food Safety Bureau, Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare.

It is always a good idea to have a copy of any prescriptions and/or a letter from the prescribing physician explaining the nature of the medication, the purpose of taking it, the recommended dosage, and frequency of ingestion.

For more information on bringing medication for personal use into Japan, please visit the Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare website or contact the regional customs office for your arriving airport.